Skip to main content

A Correction and an Unfortunate Revelation.

Greetings. The effort to collect and chronicle information, regardless of topic, is of absolute importance. For reasons that go without saying, that effort including the collection of witness testimonials. Attorneys, journalists, UFO investigators, and law enforcement officials are all aware of the necessity to accurately collect information, accurately being the operative word. 

When information is not collected in an accurate manner, details can be lost or misinterpreted, which can lead professionals astray. The parties involved can become misinformed as a result of inaccurate or misleading content. The correct usage of the English language is part of that all-important and worthwhile endeavor. 

I was recently made aware of my unfortunate misusage of the terms "its" and "it's" by Mr. Art Levine, an award-winning journalist who works as a contributing editor of The Washington Monthly. Mr. Levine has written for Salon, Truthout, The Atlantic, and The Daily Beast, among other publications, so he certainly qualifies as a highly credentialed and experienced journalist. The comment he left behind on a blog posting I had recently shared in a Facebook group reads as follows, and I quote: "Grammar: it's should read its. Both nature magazine and the New York Times have plenty of rebuttals to Looeb'sclaims." I was very thankful for the grammatical correction provided by Mr. Levine, but the rest of the comment left me puzzled. I thought that all journalists used the English language correctly to inform the masses, but I was completely wrong. Not only did Mr. Levine not capitalize the name of Nature Magazine, but he misspelled Avi Loeb's last name as "Looeb." 

Now to be perfectly clear, nobody is perfect. If I had a dime for every error I have made during the course of writing an article or composition, I could buy a round-trip ticket to Mars. However, I am not an award-winning journalist, I only write as a passionate hobby, nor do I hold a degree in journalism. Mr. Levine is a journalist, and an accomplished one at that, so he should know better. After making the necessary corrections to the blog posting in question, I inquired about the errors left behind by Mr. Levine, to which he responded by re-writing his initial comment, which reads as follows, and I quote: "Grammar: it's should read its. Both nature magazine and the New York Times have plenty of rebuttals to Loeb's claims. Pardon my typographical errors due to using a voice app. But I'm not going to bother change the capitalization errors. I try to have my headline spelled correctly in articles I publish, but nobody's perfect." So Mr. Levine is not willing to correct his own capitalization errors, "not going to bother" in his own words. I found the reworked comment very troubling. 

When offering direct criticism of an individual, I take great pains to "get my ducks in a row" as the old saying goes. In this particular instance, the saying is quite appropriate. I am very grateful for the honest criticism of my grammatical errors provided by Mr. Levine, but his reticence to correct his own errors is quite revealing and downright disconcerting. If we cannot rely on journalists to provide us with accurate information and use the English language correctly along the way, then we have arrived at a disturbing point in our history. Very disturbing indeed. 

I sincerely apologize to all my readers for my unfortunate writing errors, I will strive to hold myself to a higher standard moving forward. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liars, Frauds, and Misrepresenters.

Greetings. I am occasionally asked why I write about so many of the troubling issues within the UFO subculture. One reason, actually two. One, because the troubling issues exist, and I cannot in good conscience simply ignore them. Two, I am passionate about the UFO question, and I care deeply about the integrity of the entire UFO subculture, even though I am not an active participant in the movement.  There are many outstanding people involved in UFO research, individuals with integrity, an unshakable commitment to the work, and a high level of professionalism. They consistently grind the research stone in the never-ending effort to solve, or at the very least, learn about the UFO problem and it's innumerable questions. I cannot offer enough kind words of support and encouragement to those people, they are all deserving of our accolades, for they conduct their workmanlike efforts behind the scenes, without attention, out of the limelight, and beyond the prying eyes of the UFO subcu

Cringeworthy Promotion, Dolan Style.

Greetings. Mr. Richard Dolan is one of the most well-known figures in the UFO subculture. Known as a historian of the UFO topic, Mr. Dolan has commented at length about the UFO problem on various platforms, on broadcast media, during his own show, and on various social media outlets.  Mr. Dolan is a highly active participant on the UFO circuit, making appearances at many UFO themed festivals and conferences, actively promoting himself throughout. Now the simple act of promotion is not necessarily a negative course of action, but it is strongly suggestive of a change of course. In UFO circles, the act of self-promotion is a slippery slope, one that many well-known public figures have fallen into, some seemingly by accident, others by choice. Mr. Dolan seems to have chosen his course of action, and is apparently quite comfortable in his new surroundings.   Some UFO researchers have lost their professional credibility and integrity in the name of fame, notoriety, and financial gain. It ha

MUFON: Peddling Nonsense or Unknowingly Ignorant?

Greetings. The Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) was once a legitimate investigative organization. Back in the 1970's, the organization worked alongside, but not in cooperation with, the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO) and the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP.) By the 1990's, MUFON was the only game left in town, with APRO and NICAP having passed into UFO history. In recent years, the organization's focus has shifted away from UFO investigations towards the UFO entertainment industry and the nonsensical content it embraces. The organization has experienced several setbacks in recent years, self-inflicted wounds that tended to occur at the upper echelons of the organization, with the names Jan Harzan, John Ventre, and Steve Hudgeons immediately coming to mind. Despite this situation, there are several local chapters that have maintained a level of investigative focus and legitimacy, keeping the chaos of the higher organization at arm's